Coleslaw is another perfect summer salad. Now that it’s outdoor dining season, the best meals are the ones with as little last minute prep as possible so you can enjoy the nice weather while it’s here. This creamy dressing is very easy to make and Creamy Coleslaw can be made earlier in the day or a day ahead.
When you search coleslaw online you’ll see popular search terms like “how to make coleslaw like KFC.” Yikes. I want to make coleslaw NOT like KFC. We’re all entitled to our opinions, likes and dislikes so maybe people like the green ground up cabbage salad. And lots of people prefer the oil and vinegar type. Me, I like the creamy dressing kind.
You can chop everything in the food processor if you like. Or, maybe you prefer to shred the cabbage in long strands using a slicer or sharp knife. I’m somewhere in between. I like some carrots and sweet red pepper in coleslaw, along with a mixture of purple and green cabbage because it just looks prettier. The amount of Creamy Coleslaw Dressing in this recipe just happens to be the perfect amount for the pre chopped bagged coleslaw salad mixture you can buy, but if you don’t like plastic bag flavoured vegetables (yuk) prep about 6-7 cups of cabbage, carrots and sweet peppers.
Mix up the dressing. Just put everything in a bowl or a jar and stir/shake to combine. If you don’t have Miracle Whip style mayo, just use regular and increase the sugar by maybe another teaspoon. Either sour cream or plain yogurt work in this, giving it a slight tang. But if you don’t have any, no worries.
One of my mom’s secrets when making creamy dressings is to add a bit of sweet pickle juice. If you like, try substituting a tablespoon of pickle juice instead of using the lemon juice and sugar. Let me know what you think.
Toss everything together with almost all of the dressing. Save a bit and add more right before serving if necessary.
It should be creamy but not sloppy.
We always have this with Cornmeal Crusted Crappie.
Here’s the recipe:
- 6-7 cups mixture of shredded cabbage, sweet peppers and carrots use a variety of colours for the best presentation
- ½ cup dressing style mayonnaise like Miracle Whip
- 1 Tbsp sour cream or plain yogurt
- ½ tsp celery seed
- ½ tsp dry mustard powder
- 2 Tbsp white vinegar
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp white sugar or sub sweet pickle juice for lemon and sugar combo
- pinch salt and pepper
- minced green onions or chives for garnish
- Shred, slice or chop a colourful variety of cabbage, carrots and sweet peppers.
- Combine dressing ingredients in a jar or bowl. Stir or shake well to mix. Substitute sweet pickle juice for the lemon juice and sugar if desired.
- Pour most of the dressing over the salad, stirring to combine well. Reserve some dressing to add right before serving.
- Refrigerate salad until ready to serve. Add more dressing if needed. Salad should be creamy but not sloppy.
- Garnish with minced green onion or chives.